Chinese New Year to People of China is the same as what Christmas is to westerners. The New Year or more aptly called the Spring Festival is reverently celebrated by kids and adults alike. Especially kids help elders in preparations for the New Year celebrations by participating in cleaning and decorations of the house. It is believed that sweeping of the house sweeps away all the Bad Luck.
Letís take this as an opportunity of spending some quality time with your kids and stimulating their creative instincts with these super creative craft ideas for New Year.
The Dragon is Symbolic of Good luck and fortune in Chinese mythology. Brighten this New Year with this sparkling paper dragon and make way for some Good Luck. Steering the dragon on chopsticks, children will love to mimic dragon dance to the beat of the drums.
- white cardboard (paper size)
- A Pair of Scissors
- Color pencils
- Glue stick
- Multicolored tissue paper bits
- Red and yellow colored paper
- Transparent tape
- Curly ribbon
- Two chopsticks
- On a white cardboard trace the shape of a dragonís head and cut it with the help of scissors.
- Draw the fiery eyes, nostrils and mouth of the dragon on this shape using color pencils. Add more features and texture to the dragonís face.
- With the help of a glue stick, paste the multicolored tissue paper bits as hair on the dragon face.
- Cut several strips of 3 cm each from the red and yellow colored paper and glue them together alternately to create 2 long strips.
- Entwine the two strips together in a braid and paste together at the end of the strip.
- Using transparent tape, attach one end of the strip to the dragonís head.
- Stick ribbons for tail at the loose end.
- Now with the help of the transparent tape, stick the chopsticks to this dragon, one at the back of dragonís head and other to its tail.
The Dragon is now ready to steer through the air dancing to the beats of the drum.
Chinese paper lanterns
Kids will have loads of fun making these super quick Paper Lantern Crafts for the spring festival, which are as colorful as the spring itself.
- Letter size Origami sheets
- Pair of Scissors
- Cut a 2cm strip from your paper to be used as a handle.
- Now, lengthwise fold the paper into half.
- From the folded edge, cut fringe style cleavage 2 cm before the edge of the card.
- Fold it width wise and secure with a staple.
- Staple the handle at the top of the lantern.
New Year firecracker garland
Chinese New Year comes to life with these fun red and gold firecracker garland. Welcome Good luck, longevity and wealth in your family with these fun craft.
- 10-12 empty toilet rolls
- Red and gold paint
- Gold glitter dust
- 1 paper plate
- 1m red ribbon
- red Wrapping paper
- gold/yellow cellophane
- cello tape
- Color the paper plate with red paint and let it dry.
- Wrap tightly each toilet roll in gold/yellow paper, now wrap them again with red paper, which is slightly smaller than gold/yellow to give a gold edge.
- Decorate the paper plate with gold Paint writing the year on it and the symbol representing that year.
- Decorate each roll with gold glitter dust, writing the year on it.
- Attach these firecrackers with the help of a stapler, down the length of the ribbon.
- Attach a few red ribbon pieces at the end of this garland.
- Your garland is all set to be hung vertically on the Doorway.
Ring in the Good Luck and Drive away the bad luck of the bygone year with these super cool and super quick New Year crafts made by your little ones.
Gong Xi Fa Cai!!
Happy New Year!!